Thursday, September 24, 2009

Why is it always closed when I want a chicken sandwich?!?

It never failed in college. I would go on a fun 3 day weekend road trip to visit some friends or a place I've never been before. We'd leave nice and early on Friday and do what college kids do that weekend, and then leave to head back to Bloomington Sunday night.


Without fail, almost every time I was cruising on I-65, or I-70, or I-74 there would be this wonderful sign that would suck me in like a vacuum:






YES!!! After a long weekend, I would finally get to stop and get a chicken sandwich and a milkshake, and it's one exit away. I'd get off the highway, follow the little blue sign to either the left or the right 0.7 miles, turn, and then oh crap....mother$%^&%$!!! Chick fil-A was closed.

It would get me every time; I would always forget that I couldn't get my chicken sandwich and milkshake on a Sunday. Ever since S. Truett Cathy found the company in 1967, the restaurants have been closed on Sundays. I knew that it had something to do with religious reasons, but I never considered to think more about it. I would just always get mad when I pulled off of the highway and the place was closed.


If you are a big Chick fil-A fan like I am, you should definitely read about the company at this link:


http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chick-fil-A



S. Truett Cathy was a devout Southern Baptist - I am about as far of a polar opposite on that spectrum as someone could be. While I don't agree with his religious philosophies personally, I can respect the fact that this ideal has been part of the company from it's founding until today. I have talked in previous blogs about how life is too short - it needs to be enjoyed more. I agree with the philosophy that people should "work hard and play hard". But I feel like sometimes people forget the latter part of that ideal.


I can appreciate a leader having enough strength in their beliefs and convictions to continue this ideal that has carried on for multiple decades. When I would get mad during those long road trips to see the CLOSED sign on the Chick fil-A door when I'd arrive, I now have learned that minor inconvenience for me was actually an intelligent loss of business for the company. The leaders and management have decided to remain closed for 14% of the week due to the values and conviction that they have. At 88 years old, S. Truett Cathy still has the value that it's important to have all stores closed on Sundays, and that value supersedes the temptation to have the stores open and make money those days.


There are other examples of intelligent loss of business that are well documented. Ukrop's also closes on Sundays, and chooses not to serve alcohol. Many counties around the country have chosen to remain as "dry counties" and not sell alcohol. TV and radio stations will often avoid running controversial ads that could put the media outlet in a bad light.


Making money is important. A majority of people in the business world would even say the bottom line is the most important thing - everything else be damned. It is certainly respectable when a leader still has the gumption to have an intelligent loss of business instead of chasing the almighty dollar. A lot of times having this philosophy correlates with the brand of the company. The brand is the most important thing to understand in an organization, so it is vital that these ideas lie up.


No comments:

Post a Comment